Some people believe that becoming a vegan is not only tough, but it is also too expensive. Well, that’s not the case at all. Going vegan is easy and highly inexpensive as well. All you have to do is plan properly when buying vegan stuff for yourself.
If you also believe the same, then this post is for you! The purpose of this post is to make you aware about vegan diets on a budget. Along with that, I am sharing with you some wonderful tips that you should follow whenever going grocery shopping.
Let’s get started…
Before I discuss a vegan diet on a budget with you; let’s discuss some wonderful tips that you should surely follow.
Tips For A Vegan Diet In Budget
- Whenever going for grocery shopping, make sure you do proper planning. Make a list of items that you actually need to purchase. Make it your habit, as the market will always be swamped with fanciful items and may feel enticed to buy them all and end up spending more than your budget.
- Avoid buying fake meat, or the vegan substitutes for meat. Avoid frozen foods, junk food etc. All these food items are just fanciful, and they have no nutritional value. Moreover, they add to your budget.
- Buy only fresh fruits and vegetables. Fresh fruits and vegetables are not only healthy, but also very budget-friendly options. Buying frozen vegan foods cost you more than fresh food items. Invest wisely in fresh fruits and groceries only.
- Buy from a local market. Often vendors in local markets offer competitive prices. You can get good quality vegetables and fruits from the area near you at better prices.
- Do not over buy anything. Remember that most items can only be stored or stocked for a certain period of time. After that period your fruits and veggies start to rot, which is a waste of money.
- Buy in bulk. You may find this point contradicted the previous one, but it is not so! Here I am talking about food items which can be stored for a longer period of time, like: pasta, nuts, legumes, beans, lentils, flours, and grains. You can always find cheaper items in the bulk food stores or the bulk food section of supermarkets.
- Plan your meals in advance. Make sure you have a good collection of vegan recipes in hand so that you can plan your meals. It will help you use all the perishable items and leftovers diligently without wasting food items.
- Grow your own food. You can always grow your own food items. There are several ways you can grow herbs even in urban areas. Growing your own food items will help you have organic and healthy food. This is a great choice!
- Shop special offers and deals. Supermarkets often come with great deals and offers for their customers. Buying groceries in deals and offers will help you save a lot of money.
- Get creative. Last but not least, be creative! The best thing about a vegan diet is that you really can be very creative. You can always use the leftover food to create something very tasty and healthy. Nothing goes to waste if you know how to use all the vegan ingredients in the food.
Anybody can afford to be vegan. Going vegan is just a matter of proper planning and budgeting when going to the market for grocery shopping. These tips above will definitely help you save a few extra dollars every month!
Vegan Recipes In A Budget
Here we are sharing with you some of the best recipes that are not only easy to make, but also very much in your budget.
Breakfast Vegan Recipes In A Budget
- Oatmeal Recipe: Just take regular oats and add oat or soy milk. Now, add a spoonful of maple syrup to it. You can also add sliced fruits like bananas and apples to it to make it healthier. All these together won’t cost you much, and you would be able to have a nutritious breakfast!
- Fresh fruit with plain or Greek yogurt. This is one of the quickest and easiest breakfast recipes. All you have to do is chop all your favorite fruits like apples, bananas, strawberries, mangoes etc., and put them all in plain or Greek yogurt. Give it a good mix and your breakfast is ready! If you want you can add chopped nuts to it too!
- Banana Smoothie: Another wonderful power-packed breakfast recipe in your budget is a banana smoothie. Bananas are not a very costly fruit but the health benefits it provides you with are immense. To make this banana smoothie all you need is: one ripe banana (fresh or frozen), half an orange (for Vitamin C), yogurt, vegan milk or water, and a blender. Put everything in the blender and blend them, and your delicious smoothie is ready to serve!
Lunch Vegan Recipe In A Budget
Vegetable Pasta: Another wonderful lunch or dinner recipe is vegetable pasta. Even your kids would love this one! All you have to do is boil and strain pasta in a strainer. Then chop veggies, like mushrooms, bell pepper, beans, onion, baby corns, olives, etc. Take a pan, add olive oil or any other edible oil and add chopped onion. Now add all the chopped veggies and toss until your veggies get soft. Now add pasta to it, and add some salt, black pepper, tomato ketchup and chili flakes. And your delicious pasta is ready!
Dinner Vegan Recipe In A Budget
Vegetable Salad: An easy and healthy recipe for vegans. This is one such recipe that helps you maintain your weight as well. You can make your veggie platter with as many veggies as possible. It can be a great lunch or dinner recipe. All you have to do is take all the veggies like beans, broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, spinach, bell pepper, mushrooms, sweet potato, and mint or coriander for garnishing. Steam all the veggies, now take a bowl add them all inside, add a pinch of salt, pepper powder, and bit of olive oil. Toss them all, garnish with chopped mint and coriander leaves and you are ready. For an extra dose of nutrition, you can add boiled chick peas to it. You will love the salad for sure!
Let’s Start Saving
These are some wonderful ideas that may help you with your vegan budget. Now you are ready to make your grocery list that fits the budget of your choice. Please leave a comment below and let me know what you think about some of these ideas and also what ideas you can add to the list.